Wednesday 30 November 2011

Crochet Santa Stars

Tomorrow launches the start of the silly season, so thought I'd show you some Santa stars. I made a couple of these last year as gifts.
I've been making fabric Santa Stars for years so I was happy to find this free vintage pattern here freevintagecrochet.com/christmas/santa-claus-star.html at Purple Kitty to make some crochet ones.

The vintage pattern is in American terminology so their sc is our (English) dc.
I've adapted the pattern a bit. I've used 8ply & a 4mm hook. I've made two Santas, stitched them together & stuffed him to give him a nice pudgy middle. (is pudgy a word? you know what I mean).This makes Santa about 25cm high & wide.

The Santas I made last year had black gloves instead of white ones, there's one in my project page on Ravelry from last November, either look fine. I used plain white yarn for the gloves, don't know if you can see them well enough in the photo.
On all the trims on the cuffs, hat & beard I've used fake fur yarn (maybe the only good use for the stuff), & flesh colour for the face
I followed the basic pattern with the following minor changes.
For the head point I didn't do the loopy row, from the beginning of the point I worked 2 rows red, 4 rows flesh, 2 rows furry white & then red until the end. I didn't bother doing a face on the back side, I just did the head piece all in red up to the white fur trim then finished with red as the front.
With the two pieces facing out, stitch them together leaving a space open to stuff, join it up when you're done stuffing.
Flat Santa -

For the Belt, I did 46 ch, 1ch for turning, & worked 45dc for 2 rows. Stitch it around his middle with the join at the back.
For the Buckle, ch 8, join to form a ring then dc into the ring until nicely filled, I think I did about 13dc, slst into first dc.
For the beard I cut 20 lengths of furry yarn double the length you want the beard plus a little longer so you can trim it up. Taking 2 pieces doubled & a smaller crochet hook latch hook them into the face starting at the fur trim of his hat & curving around the face. Trim it up when you're done.

Add a jingle bell, a couple of beads for eyes, & a hanging thread & he's done.
Oh here's a pic of the the fabric ones

I'll post a pic of the little crochet Santa garland I'm making with the same pattern  in the next post, & I hope to have time to put a couple of cup cosy patterns up soon as well. I love vintage patterns, they live on & on, go check out the other patterns at Purple Kitty, it's one of my favourite sites.
Hope everyone is ready for the next few weeks of chaos lol
Love Jen.




3 comments:

  1. I tried to follow you on Pinterest but I couldn't for some reason... Love your patterns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your nice comment :-). I don't know why it wouldn't work on Pinterest, but I'll go have a look (not like I know what I'm doing lol). I received a couple of notifications of people following this morning, maybe it was some sort of computer thing happening :-)

      Delete
  2. I'd like the fabric pattern>>

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, and I'm very happy to help you with any questions about my patterns. The comments are moderated only to stop spam mail coming through, so your comment will be published as soon as I get a chance to check them - thanks Jen.