Sunday 22 April 2012

Share Kitty - Knitted Cat Pattern

I've had a lot of requests for the Share Kitty Pattern, so for anyone who didn't get it last time, I've put it up here again.

SHARE KITTY
http://justjen-knitsandstitches.blogspot.com.au/

Share Kitty is 41cm tall. Legs, body & head are knitted as one piece for the front, one for the back, with his arms, ears & tail attached separately.
I request that items knitted from this pattern be used for personal & charity use, not for profit.
Materials –
50gms Main colour (MC) – White 8ply /DK
50gms Colour 1 (C1) – Purple 8ply /DK
50gms Colour 2 (C2) – Green 8ply /DK
Small amounts of pink & black for ears, nose & features.
1 pair 3.25mm knitting needles.
Fibre fill, sewing notions.
Please read through pattern before starting.


BODY BACK
Stocking stitch is used throughout.
LEGS -
Starting at bottom of leg at the paw, with MC, cast on 9 sts.
St st 2 rows.
Next row - Increase 1 st each end of this, and every K row until 15 sts.
Row 8 – Purl.
Rows 9 to 12 – St st
Row 13 – Changing to C1, continue in stripes of 6 rows C1 & 6 rows C2, until 54 rows from cast on edge.
Carry the alternate colour up the side of your work, linking in every couple of rows, ready to use for the next
stripe. You’ll have 7 stripes.
Leaving this leg on needle or stitch holder, do a 2nd leg the same.
Keeping in stripe pattern,
Knit across both legs to begin body – 30 sts.
Continue in 6 row stripes, for 42 rows (7 stripes).

SHAPE SHOULDERS
Keeping in stripes, St st 2 rows.
Decrease 4 sts at the beginning of next 3 rows,
Then decrease 3 sts at the beginning of next row – 15 sts. *

HEAD BACK
Now for the head, we are going to work in 4 row stripes.
The smaller stripes will blend in better with the face markings. You can do a plain colour back head if you prefer.
Continue now, in the same colour sequence, but in 4 row stripes. AT THE SAME TIME, shape head by
following the outside stitches on the graph. Disregard the pattern, & colour key, that is only for the face. On the very last stripe, you’ll be doing 6 rows of C1 instead of 4 to finish the head.
Inner  & X - White
O – C1


BODY FRONT
Work the same as back until you reach *
FACE
Follow the above graph to shape head as you did for the back. AT THE SAME TIME knit the face
markings.
Knit in the Intarsia method, use separate balls of yarn to do the colour work, remembering to twist yarns
when changing colours to prevent holes. I use small spindles of C1 & a ball of white to make untangling
each row easier. If you are unfamiliar with Intarsia, there are many tutorials on the net.


ARMS – Make 2
Starting at the paw with MC, cast on 15sts.
St st 2 rows
Row 3 – Inc in every 3rd st (ie knit in front & back of stitch) - 20sts.
St st 3 rows.
Row 7 – Inc in every 4th st – 25sts.
St st 3 more rows.
Changing to C1, continue in 6 row stripes of C1 & C2 until 6 stripes have been worked.
Keeping in stripes, St st 2 more rows.
Next row – (K2, K2tog ) to last st, K1 – 19 sts.
P 1 row
Next row - (K2, K2tog) to last 3 sts, K3.
P 1 row.
Cast Off.


EARS – Make 4
It’s up to you if you do 4 ears “cat colour”, or 2 inside ears pink.
Cast on 12sts.
St st 2 rows.
Decrease each end of every K row until 2 sts remain.
P2 tog, fasten off.


TAIL – Make 1
Starting with the darker colour (C1 or C2),
Cast on 16 sts.
St st 5 (6 row stripes) – 30 rows. Change to White.
St st 4 rows straight.
Row 35 – (K2, K2tog) to end – 12sts.
St st 3 rows.
Row 39 – (K2, K2tog) to end – 9sts.
St st 3 rows.
Row 43 – K2tog to last st, K1.
Row 44 – P2tog to last st, P1 – 3sts
Thread through remaining sts, pull tight & fasten off.


NOSE – Make 1
(Easier than trying to embroider on a nose).
With pink, cast on 2 sts.
Purl 1 row
Increase each end of every K row, until 10 sts.
Purl 1 row.
Cast off.


MAKE UP
BODY
Sew in all the ends of the colour work on the face. I tend to use some of the ends on the toy to sew up, sew
in all other ends not needed.
With right sides facing out sew up around the whole cat, using a mattress stitch, BUT leave an opening at one
side of the body for stuffing.
Don’t try too hard to match the stipes on the back head to that of the front face, they don’t completely
match…. it’s just the way it is :-).
Fill the legs first, but only ¾ fill them so the cat is flexible enough to sit. Sew a small running stitch across the first row of the body to separate the legs from the body. Finish stuffing the rest of
the body & head firmly, especially at the neck and stitch up gap at side of body.
ARMS
Run a thread through the cast on edge of paw & gather in tight. Continue seaming up arm until about an inch
from the top, to give yourself some room to stuff. Stuff arm, again not too full (¾) and continue sewing up
seam. Flatten top of arm opening, so the arm seam is positioned at the back, not the side of the arm, before
sewing across.
Sew arms to the body at shoulder, with the seam facing in towards the body.

EARS
Join 2 ears right sides facing out & slip stitch together for each ear. Sew to head, see photo for guide.
NOSE
Stitch nose to face, then embroider on mouth. Use black yarn to make French knots for eyes, & sew on
whiskers.
NOTE – do not put buttons, beads or removeable eyes on any toys meant for children under 5 years.
Check in your area for local standards.
TAIL
Sew up seam from tail up, and stuff, again ¾ full and sew on to back of cat.
PAWS
To sew in the toes on the paws, knot a long length of 8ply black yarn. Make a large knot. From the back of paw, off to one side, sew through from back to front, pulling knot inside the toy to anchor. Stitch three stitches over edge of paw, one to the side, middle and other side. As you do, pull each stitch to form the toes and fasten at the back of each stitch before going to the next one (see photo for a guide).  Bury yarn back inside the toy to finish.
Please let me know if there are any mistakes, or if there is something you don’t understand.
Hope you enjoy the pattern.
© Jennifer Stacey 2012
I request 
that items knitted from this pattern be used for Personal and Charity use only,  not for Profit. 
In return I ask that you credit my name, and my blog website address as the designer.  

49 comments:

  1. Thank you. This will be perfect for charity knitting projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for posting this terrific pattern again. I missed it the last time around.

    Robin in MA

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a generous person you are! And very talented! Thanks so much!
    Vicki in AZ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all, I saw that you were back Julie C. hope everything is going well for you.
    I'm keeping the comment moderation on, as I don't look at the blog every day, so if anyone posts something and doesn't see it go up straight away, don't worry it will - Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I am currently knitting this pattern as a gift, I don't see the graph for the head shaping at all---am I missing something? My e mail is needles 54 at optonline dot net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grace, there is only one graph in the pattern, it includes the outer shaping of the head, are you seeing any graph at all online in the pattern? If not perhaps try viewing it in Google Chrome if you are using IE, I tend to have trouble viewing some things in IE lately. If you copy and paste the pattern to print it out, it should include the graph. If it's definitely not there I'll send you the pattern via email. Anyone else can't see the graph - let me know - Jen.

      Delete
  6. i am trying all of your suggestions and I can't see the graph, I have all of the pieces done except the heads, I would appreciate your help !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emailing it to you now :-)

      Delete
    2. Let me know Grace if you've received it - thanks. A while ago, someone else from the U.S. could see the graph but couldn't copy and paste and always has trouble getting stuff from Australian sites. Might be something to do with the providers? I'm going to put a note on all the patterns with graphs to contact me if they can't see it - cheers Jen.

      Delete
  7. I see the chart but I am not totally understanding how to read it. Should I be increasing and decreasing sts as the head gets wider? and I assume the blank squares on the outside of the circle should be nothing.. I have only read charts a few times and they always had keys to tell me what action I should completing. I understand the color coding.. just not the knitting actions. Ok, thanks!

    I really like the pattern, by the way. Thank you for sharing. I am going to make a normal sized one and a small one for my little cousin and her new baby sister.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Megan, yes the outer symbols is the outline of the pattern and what you follow to increase and decrease. Print the chart, and number the rows up the right hand side, I stopped numbering the charts,it's a lot of extra work to get right, and most other charts don't include them.
    Start the 1st row by reading the first row of the chart, from the bottom right hand side, from right to left. Then the 2nd row, follow the 2nd line of the chart back, from left to right.
    Some people number the charts by putting every alternate row number on the left hand side, if it helps you.
    Follow the outer symbols, whatever colour they are, to increase and decrease, and follow the colourwork at the same time. Once you get used to it, it is the simplest way to follow a pattern with shaping and colourwork.
    Hope this helps you,I'm glad you like the pattern, I hope your cousins love them - Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you so much for sharing this pattern, it's so nice to find a pattern where the head is part of the body instead of separate where it is so difficult to sew the head on without it becoming wobbly when played with! I am currently making a pink and white striped cat to raise funds to keep our local library open - we have so many cuts in funding in the UK at present. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaytee, I'm pleased you like the pattern. I hope you can keep your local Library open - Jen.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for sharing this pattern. It's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz, hope you have fun making it :-)

      Delete
  11. Hi Jen -
    I've just begun this adorable Kitty. A couple of questions about the Legs:
    1. Did you mean for the last increase to occur on row 13 (first row of C1)?
    2. Any particular reason the increases for the paws are not reversed for the right and left legs (i.e. mirror image)?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jill M, the instructions read - increase 1st Each end of every knit row until you have 15sts. That means you increase at the beginning and end of every knit row (ie each end of that row not "the end of every knit row").That will be 2 stitches increased every knit row. So if you begin with 9sts,, work 2 rows straight, then increase each end of the next knit row, and every knit row after you will have 15sts at the end of row 7. The paw shapings are symmetrical there is no left or right, I hope this helps you out, enjoy knitting xx Jenny.

      Delete
    2. A little embarrassed here - your directions now seem perfectly clear. And the mystery of asymmetrical paws is solved :)
      Thanks for your patience and help. I am so excited to knit this up for a friend's new granddaughter!

      Delete
    3. Oh no worries Jill, I had to go back and check the pattern, there was every chance I made a mistake or worded it wrong :-) Hope she loves it xx

      Delete
  12. Do you have another Kitty Pattern? I thought I saw something called "sad" kitty or something like that?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi again Jen -
    Have completed the back legs and body! Just want to check re the head shaping: the increases and decreases are done on both the knit and pearl sides?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, yes hopefully you can see and print out the graph, I suppose it's a grid isn't it, I should stop calling it a graph :-).(A few people, all from the US it seems, can't see the grid, or can't print it - haven't been able to work out why, internet stuff??.) Each row on the grid is a row of the pattern, so yes you will be doing some decreases on some purl rows. Number your rows up the side if you print it off. Looking at the grid, start row 1 of the pattern at the right hand bottom corner of the 1st row ie read it from right to left. Row 2 read back from left to right and so on.

      Delete
  14. Thanks, Jen! I am in the US but had no problem printing out the grid - just wanted to be sure I was interpreting it correctly. I am having a lot of fun seeing this kitty work up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Jill, it is one of my favourite patterns because it makes a really nice size kitty, one you can cuddle and carry around :-).

      Delete
  15. could you not knit it in the round? i do hate to sew things together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could Ade, for the body, arms and tail, but the colourwork and shaping of the head might be a problem.

      Delete
  16. thank you so much for this lovely pattern, I knitted it as a gift for my goddaughter's baby and he loves it. I am now on my second one...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for your lovely comment, it's always nice to find out where the kitties end up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Suzanne Berard LangloisFebruary 23, 2014

    Thanks for sharing this wonderful pattern!

    When it comes to decreasing 4 stitches at the beginning of the next 3 rows to shape the shoulders, do you mean, knit one stitch, slip one stitch, knit one stitch, pass slip stitch over ~ 4 times? Or knit 2 together 4 times?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzanne, just cast off as you would if you were casting off at the end of a pattern. Knit first 2 stitches, pass first over second, knit another stitch, pass over again etc. :-)

      Delete
  19. I've made everything and am now doing finishing touches. But how do I sew on French knot eyes now that the cat is all stuffed? That is, what do I do with the ends of the yarn?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, just bury the ends back inside the cat, I leave a fairly long end of yarn at the beginning and the end of the knot, say 20cm. It helps if you have a longer doll needle, thread the yarn and go back into the head, coming out through t the back of the head or body somewhere. You can then pull on the yarn tightly, cut it off and it will then go back and stay buried inside the head. I end and begin all my seams and embroidery the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  21. thank i am going to try to knit ths for my granddaughter age 10 as she loves cats .has since birth . THANK YOU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Dorothy, she is definitely a cat person then, if she's loved them from birth xx.

      Delete
  22. Jen, thank you so very much for sharing the pattern for 'share Kitty' I absolutely love it and hope to knit this up for a friend who is having a baby and thought it would make a lovely gift.. Anne, New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely message Anne, it's always nice to know my Kitties are all over the world lol. I hope your friend and the new bub love it xx.

      Delete
  23. Thanks so much for the Kitty pattern, Jen! I saved the graph as a picture and then printed it out much enlarged so I could see it better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it Elizabeth, I hope you enjoy knitting it - Jen

      Delete
  24. I love the share kitty pattern but I can't get it to print out. can you please email me a copy of it to slmoore5769@outlook.com Thank you soo much for your pattern and assistance. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will Sandy, I got your email, will see if I can send you a copy tonight :-)

      Delete
  25. Hello! I love your kitty and it's exactly what I was looking for to accent my guest bedroom. I can't seem to download the pattern, so could you please email it to me also, when you find the time? aneternaloptimist@outlook.com I have a traumatic brain injury, so I can't knit or crochet, and was wondering if you would take an order to knit this cat in colors to match my décor? I would be willing to supply the colored yarns, if you'd let me now which you prefer. I also love you teapot cozy! Do you sell those by chance? Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Burma, sorry I haven't been blogging lately? Where do you live?

      Delete
  26. Hi I live on the G.Coast and have been trying to find a bunny tea pot cover can you help me? I will be knitting your cat one in the Geelong colours to send to my cousin m down there,Jo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Is there an easy way i can increase and decrease for the head as i can't follow graphs but would love to knit it

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello. I am a bit of a novice when it comes to knitting so don't understand the graph. Is there a simple way of just doing a striped head please xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Jen! My daughter and I really love this cat. I am making her a black and white one. I'm closing up the arms to attach next and she's already cuddling with the stuffed torso/head. Thanks for the pattern knittef flat. We all have our preferences and I hate knitting in the round! The face chart made it very easy to knit, even though it was my first time doing intarsia. Thanks so much!

    Sara Kling, Columbia MO

    ReplyDelete
  30. AnonymousMay 31, 2017

    How do u do the tail & is there a picture when uts done.

    ReplyDelete
  31. AnonymousMay 31, 2017

    How do u do the tail & is there a picture when uts done.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, and I'm very happy to help you with any questions about my patterns. The comments are moderated only to stop spam mail coming through, so your comment will be published as soon as I get a chance to check them - thanks Jen.