Tuesday, 26 November 2013

I'm trying to feel a lot like Christmas!

I'm really trying to get into the whole "Festive" mood, really I am ... and I'm usually the annoying friend who loves Christmas, decorates profusely and has 3 Christmas Trees in the house!
Ok I'm much better now, and only have one tree (but the other 2 were only small and they are still in the shed...just in case) lol.
I'm also dealing with the old superstition thing  - read about it here . 
In my quest to find that elusive  Christmas spirit, I've already given a batch of upside down Gingerbread Man Reindeer biscuits a trial run -



Not my idea, something that came into my news feed on FB.
I am trying to track down the original source of these, I do like to give credit, if I can find it I'll add it here.
Because two of my kids don't like Gingerbread that much, even now as adults (what is wrong with them), I used a plain biscuit recipe this time, but substituted Brown Sugar for Caster sugar to colour them up a bit more.
Here's the recipe

125g Butter softened
2/3 cup Brown Sugar
1 Egg
1 cup Plain Flour sifted
1 cup S.R. Flour sifted
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon mixed spice and I added a little extra cinnamon as well.

Oven Temp 160c for a Fan Forced Oven.
Sift flours, salt and spice into a separate bowl.
Beat softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat well.
Blend in the flour and knead into a soft dough.
Roll out onto a floured board to approx 5mm thick (mine are always a bit thicker) and cut out your reindeer.  Place on greased trays or lined with baking paper.
Bake at 160c for 10 - 15 mins or until a nice biscuit colour.  
Most of them have been devoured now, but I had 3 trays worth, 2 the size above and a larger one, so the recipe makes well over 3 dozen biscuits.

You do need to find the right shaped Cookie Cutter. I had 3 at home and none of them were the right shape. I found this one, which is perfect, and these nifty icing bottles (which I didn't use for the reindeer, but can't wait to play with) at Marcia's On Montague  one of my favourite stores in Brissie.


I also cheated and used this to ice them

So easy! The pack cost around $5, but I still have a little less than half the white left, I only used a tiny amount of chocolate, none of the pink and I already had another tube of Red icing for the noses. I think from memory, the original idea had smarties for the noses, but my cookie cutter is probably a bit smaller.

I thought going to the Christmas Shack might help put me in the mood.
There was plenty to see, and we did enjoy taking my son and his partner to shop for some decorations for their first Christmas in their first home...


Then I remembered Lincraft has all their Christmas stock half priced (until sold out).
Best place to shop for Christmas Decorations, being half price now, and they do have some nice ones. 



Jen xx.

11 comments:

  1. Do you know what the metric equivalents are? I have some cup measures, but I'm not sure if they are American...

    Penny
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penny Australian 1 cup measure = 250ml, but here is a conversion chart I found, should help
      http://alldownunder.com/australian-convert/measurement-chart.htm

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane I hope I didn't do that by mistake ...sorry if I did :-)

      Delete
    2. Gee I must have, I did read it though Diane xx

      Delete
  3. The reindeer biscuits are cute! Fortunately my kids do like gingerbread cookies, so I just might try these this year. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun to make, just sit down to ice them ...they take a while :-).

      Delete
  4. Looks like you are rolling nicely into the festive season Jen! The reindeer biscuits are great! I have made a few batches of gingys myself this past 2 weeks. Used honey in the first batch and went fancy and tried Molasses in the 2nd batch. Consensus round here was that the molasses batch was much better. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Molasses sounds yum, always a fan of using that or Golden Syrup. Years ago I was lucky enough to come across one of Lady Flo Bjelke-Petersen's Cookbooks, (An icon if you're a Queensland girl). Almost every "sweet" recipe spanning 70 years has golden syrup in the ingredients. When I bake something from it, the kids know I've gotten it out of the " Golden Syrup Book" lol.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, and I'm very happy to help you with any questions about my patterns. The comments are moderated only to stop spam mail coming through, so your comment will be published as soon as I get a chance to check them - thanks Jen.