Sunday, 11 August 2013

Finally it's finished!

I started this many months ago, and finally finished the very last square during the week!



So finally it's finished and will be going off to K4BN next Friday or Saturday.

I sewed a little tag on the back of this one. I thought it would be nice to add it, so the person who ends up with it, knows someone is thinking of them.

I used the unholey granny square
Each square was 13 rounds (measuring 30cm) plus a final round of dc (aus) in black, using a 4.50mm hook and 8ply/DK yarn. These are a lot of fun to make, I made another the same, 2 years ago.

I have a few more projects to get finished before the end of the week,
I've got two bunny rugs of double flannelette I've sewn together on Friday. I'll crochet a border around each one, with some 4ply Bendigo cotton.



I have a stack of donated crochet and knitted squares I'm currently sewing together to make another blanket, and some lined curtain fabric to make toiletry bags for the group as well. I should get a few from 3 metres, plus I found a roll of nylon cord from Bunnings, 20 metres for $5, for the drawstrings, cheaper than buying it at the Haby Dept.

Did you know K4BN also hand out toiletry bags to the homeless as well as knitted and crochet items?
They are always in need of packaged toothbrushes and soap (they need to be packaged due to health regs) Toothpaste, small containers of shampoo, sample packs, face washers are all appreciated.

Finally after all the crocheting I've been doing lately, I needed to knit something, I've missed it.
So ever since I found this lovely old vintage book of hats, I've wanted to knit the
Beret pattern.



I'm just about to start the decreases now, so it's been a quick little knit.
Hope everyone is having a nice weekend. It's a lovely sunny weekend in Brisbane, it's been about 23c so not too cold.


13 comments:

  1. Your blanket is so bright & beautiful, Jen & I LOVE the colour of the bunny rugs. You have so many talents I'm jealous !! :o))

    I have to say, it's very weird looking at a blog dated tomorrow when here, it's still today !! :o))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat xx. The bunny rug fabric was donated, I love the Bambi print on it. Ha ha I didn't realize about the date, I posted it after midnight here, because I'd been out with a gf to go to dinner and the movies to see Wolverine - Oh that Hugh Jackman - sigh!

      Delete
  2. Hi Lesley, I'll send you an explanation of the bear/cat bauble chart to your private email - Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blanket is lovely - what a great cause. I love the little tag you put on it too - very thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna! It is a great cause, they all work so hard to ensure no one in need misses out.

      Delete
  4. The blanket is stunning! I love the look of the beret, too. Aren't old knitting patterns fantastic? I love hunting them down in op shops - it's always such a thrill to find a particularly old one (although I do love the amazingly cheesy ones from the 60s, too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie, I adore finding old patterns, and being able to use them again. I especially love the cheesy ones from the 60's and 70's too, I can't leave them behind :-).

      Delete
  5. Jenny, what a beautiful crocheted rug ...someone in need is going to be so thrilled to receive it, especially with your little tag added to it!
    The bunny rugs are gorgeous too!
    LOVE the beret...my sister in Adelaide only asked me a couple of weeks ago if I had an easy pattern for a beret...hint, hint!!
    Hope to see you on Friday at Kallangur, if not Saturday at Grovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, yes should see you Friday, maybe at Yarn Over too?? The beret is finished - so easy and a good fit although it will be donated as well, and the pattern is heading your way via fb. Actually I'm just trying to date the pattern, if it's out of copyright I might be able to share it here as well xx

      Delete
  6. Wow, that's stunning! I'm sure someone will be extremely chuffed to receive it. Do share your bunny rug when you finish it. Our local charity also hands out toiletry bags with clean socks in them, a nice thought. Love the first knitted hat esp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simmone, that's a nice touch with the socks, we've found knitted bed socks are always greatly appreciated by our clients too.

      Delete
  7. Your blanket is stunning! Well done! So satisfying when a project is finished ...
    Thanks for visiting my blog, and your lovely comments. Hugs to you, too! Hope you have a good few days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona, and thanks also for leaving a comment. You'll find it will all work out in the end, and things will improve, they do. With 5 people's problems coming and going in this home, I've decided I should name the house "Hills and Valleys". Doesn't seem fit for a little brick house in suburbia, but it makes sense to us xx.

      Delete

I love reading your comments, and I'm very happy to help you with any questions about my patterns. The comments are moderated only to stop spam mail coming through, so your comment will be published as soon as I get a chance to check them - thanks Jen.