Thursday, 4 April 2013

Finders Keepers - Tristram's Glasses and The $1 Quilt Calendar



Does anyone remember these (you might have to be 50ish and from Brisbane)?
They were left to me, 30 years ago by my Nan, so "found" a long time ago.
I spent the happiest times of my childhood at my Nan & Pop's house at Spring Hill. A lovely old Queenslander, high on the hill off Gregory Terrace.
Sadly the house was torn down in the 1980's like so many others in the 70's and 80's, to make way for an ugly trendy thing, so all I have now are the memories.

From what I was told, these are Tristram's Glasses, as a promotion of Tristram's Soft Drinks. You would receive a free glass for every so many bottles you purchased, back in the day when Soft Drinks were delivered to the door in big clangy trucks.


They have the T T along the bottom for T. Tristram, and I loved them as a child. It was a treat to be allowed to drink out of them. I had my first addictive taste of Sarsaparilla in those glasses lol.
The foto fanatic (who loves Brisbane history as much as I do) over at Your Brisbane: Past and Present has a post on Tristram's Drink Factory HERE

The next find was another from the last Bookfest in January, this one was a dollar well spent....



A little Box Calendar with a quilting block pattern for every day of the year, with instructions for each block (although I think a beginner quilter would need more detailed explanations).
It's a treasure chest of designs!

A gorgeous Wedding Quilt


And I really like modern designs like this featuring my favourite thing - hearts! I'm already searching for some spotted background fabric, looks like I need some extra time to do more sewing.


 
Thanks for visiting - Jen.


9 comments:

  1. Hello Jen, I love your glasses and your personal connection to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kylie, just found your blog before, thanks for following too :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh what a lovely story behind your glasses. So nice that you still have them - i bet you can taste the sars like it was yesterday. Brisbane has done some foolish things over the years with allowing the loss of beautiful architecture and history. My Grandmothers house had the same fate. Love the glasses. I'll never understand how people throw sentimental things away with such abandon when just the sight or smell can take you somewhere wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks E.A.P. I agree so much was lost during those years, and I have no photos of the house :-(. Only another collector understands the links to the past, thank goodness there are a few of us around.

      Delete
  3. Lovely memories, Jen. The people you loved never leave you as long as you have memories.

    I have a knitting calendar like your quilt one - a pattern a day, or spread out over 2 or 3 days. I can't say there's many patterns I'd actually knit, but they're nice to look at & think that MAYBE, ONE DAY, I'll be talented enough to have a go !! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true PJK, my memory of the house and my Grandparents are as if it was yesterday. Your calendar sounds like a lot of fun, same here, I have my favourites I'd like to make, and others I wouldn't attempt.

      Delete
  4. Such a shame that your Nana's house got pulled down as far to much of Brisbane's lovely old style of home have been destroyed for the modern "box".
    When we dug out under our house we came across a Tristram bottle with the marble in the neck and it still had a quarter of the Lemonade in it so we found out that Schweppes had taken over Tristram , so rang them and a guy came and got it as they wanted it for the history of Tristram......he got back to us as the Lemonade that was in the bottle was still very fizzy and use able which was quite a surprise as it had been buried for 20 some thing years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing that the Lemonade was still fizzy, don't think I'd like to try it though lol. I'm sure they appreciated the little bit of history - Jen.

      Delete
  5. Hi Justjen,
    I am searching though my family history and found your glasses. If you ever decide to part with them. Please contact us as we have lost much of our history to history unfortunately. and we would LOVE them so very much.
    Glenys Tristram
    glenys@triscofoods.com

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, and I'm very happy to help you with any questions about my patterns. The comments are moderated only to stop spam mail coming through, so your comment will be published as soon as I get a chance to check them - thanks Jen.