Friday, 3 August 2012

A Camera Cosy

Because I'm doing the photo a day for August, thought I'd share the easy crochet camera case I've just finished.
The purchased case I had was quite big and bulky, so I just needed one to protect the camera when I throw it in my bag, and something that was easy to take the camera in and out of.
Besides, what self respecting Knitter/Crocheter doesn't have a "fibred" case for absolutely everything in her home. The toaster and coffee maker are looking nervously at me from the kitchen as I speak (write), thinking one day they may have to endure the decorating faux pas their ancestors endured in the 1970's of matching covers on EVERYTHING!
The fridge is sniggering at them, because it knows I'm never going to make a crochet cover for it!  And yes I just did a quick google search & couldn't find any fridge door cosies....YET.
There are a million camera cases on the net, and here's another so there's now 1000001

I used 8ply/ DK and a 4mm hook.
My Camera is just a point and shoot camera, a Canon Ixus 220 HS. It measures 10.5cm x 7 (taking into account it's thickness). Adjust the size to fit your camera.
Crochet stitches are in British terminology.
To create different size stripes, do rounds of dc, htr, and tr (U.S. terminology will be sc, hdc, and dc).
Use at least 4 colours, that way the stripes/colour combinations will differ as you go.
Each round is a different colour so if you like doing stripes you'd better start to love sewing in ends (sorry), I think its a stretch to carry up 4 or 5 colours for this one.

Every round, join in the new colour on the last loop of the slst that joins that round.
You could use a self striping yarn if you like, I'm using some Bernat Mosaic to crochet the same cover for my Tablet - look out toaster, you're next.

Ch 22, or whatever number of ch fit snugly around your camera. Join into a ring, or if you prefer, do the first row of dc then join into a ring and join the ch (I won't tell). Just remember to do 1 extra ch if you start this way, missing the first ch, then doing 22 dc.
Next round, 2ch, htr around, join.
Next round 3ch, tr around, join.
Continue repeating the 3 rounds of dc, htr & tr until the cosy is long enough to fit the camera, ending on a dc or htr round. Fasten off. Nothing wrong with doing 2 rounds of dc at the end to bring it up to the right size.

The flap is worked  in dc every row. With the join of the rounds sitting at the centre back, using the flap colour, dc across the back 11 sts (or half the stitches you've done for your size).
Dc 3 more rows.
Next Row - dc2tog at beginning and end of this row.
Next Row - dc to end,
Continue these 2 rows until there are 3 sts left. (If you started with an even number of dc continue until 2 sts remain, then dc2tog to finish)
Next Row -  dc2tog, dc 1
Next Row dc2tog
Fasten off.
Sew in all your ends and sew across the bottom edge to finish.
Sew on a snap fastener to close the flap, then the button, or if you prefer fasten like the centre one in the photo. Attach a doubled length of yarn to the end of the flap with a half hitch, sew the button below the flap, and wrap the yarn around the button to fasten. You can add some beads to the end of the tie if you want.  The red, pink, orange, aqua, purple one in the centre is the one I ended up using for my camera, Jen.
© Jennifer Stacey 2012
For personal use - not for profit.

4 comments:

  1. They're so lovely and bright! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! My Old camera was all scratched up because I would just toss it in my purse. I just ordered a new one and will be starting this cute case as soon as my camera arrives. Thank you for such a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mothrlorin, I'm the same now it just goes in my bag. Wow a nice new camera, what did you decide on? I was totally confused when I went to buy a new one, having had my previous digital camera for quite a few years - Jen.

      Delete

I love reading your comments, and I'm very happy to help you with any questions about my patterns. The comments are moderated only to stop spam mail coming through, so your comment will be published as soon as I get a chance to check them - thanks Jen.