Thursday, 12 July 2012

Plain simple spicy biccies

It's rainy and dreary and depressing in Brisbane at the moment. While Brisbane has had it's share of drought, when it rains in Brisbane, it rains for days and days, especially in Winter. 

Because it's Winter, I've been hitting the baking pretty hard lately with Sticky Date Pudding (my very very favourite dessert), Self Saucing Chocolate Pudding, Apple Pie, along with the normal weekly bakes of muffins or biccies for lunchboxes and tea breaks. For those of you who live across the creek, biccies, slang for what we call biscuits, are your cookies.

These biscuits are a favourite with my tribe at the moment. They're simple to make, spicy and perfect when you just want a basic biccie with a cuppa, and they smell divine baking. They're somewhat like Snicker doodles, without the sugar dusting, being a little crunchy, a little soft. They hale from an old local Boy Scouts fundraiser recipe book from the 1950's, of which I treasure.
They're called Caramel Biscuits but don't taste like Caramel at all, they'd be better named Spice Biscuits, 

Preheat your oven to 180c.
Grease or line baking trays.
You'll need,
½ cup butter softened (approx 125g)
½ cup sugar 
1 egg
2 dessertspoons Golden Syrup
1¼ cups Self-raising flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon allspice
Beat the butter and sugar until light, mix in egg then syrup.
Sift the flour and spices (don’t be tempted to leave out the allspice, it makes the biscuit). Blend into the butter mix.
Drop teaspoonsful onto trays and flatten.
Bake in moderate oven 10 – 15 minutes. I usually leave mine in for the 15 mins for a crunchier biscuit, but if using fan forced you may have to watch they don't burn near the end, and adjust your temp.
Makes approx. 30.
 Jen.
  

4 comments:

  1. Mmm sounds yummy ,my eyes and tummy say yes please,my brain says you're on a diet.xx
    Laura.
    P.S. it's been lashing down for weeks in the UK,and it's summertime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember hearing on the news that it's been pelting down over there. Just in time for the Olympics. Hope it stops soon so we can both get some washing dry - Jen.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, whats up with the Brisbane weather right now!? All I want to clean DRY clothes! It has pushed me to go back to baking and cooking more comforting dinners though.

    Those biscuits look great. Something my daughter will love. Printed out the recipe for another day. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Bel, totally over the rain, especially when I have 5 adults to wash for. The biccies are quite soft, so hope your daughter likes them - stay dry.

      Delete

I love reading your comments, and I'm very happy to help you with any questions about my patterns. The comments are moderated only to stop spam mail coming through, so your comment will be published as soon as I get a chance to check them - thanks Jen.