Tuesday, 5 June 2012

Silk Garden Sock Scarf - Crochet

Ages ago I bought some beautiful rainbow Mini Mochi from Yarn Over to crochet a hitchin-a-ride scarf for Winter.
Because I don't usually wear really bright colours, & I wear a lot of black in Winter (surprise surprise considering my past colour history on the blog), I wanted to make something a little more subtle to wear first.
So a couple of months ago I grabbed a skein of Noro Silk Garden Sock yarn from Yarn Over, in a pink/grey colourway.
Here's the scarf. One ball was enough to make a "wrapable" scarf, using a 6mm hook. 
 
This is a better brighter photo, do you like the colours? When the green started to appear it was a surprise, but I can't imagine it without it now.
Can you see the little brooch I'm planning on pinning it with, in the centre of the photo?

I made it when I was 12 (be kind, I was only 12). It was a gift to my Mum back in 1974/75.
It actually doubles as a pendant with both options on the back. She always wore it as a pendant.

The centre piece is copper enamelled. Copper enamelling was all the rage back in the 70's. You could readily buy copper enameling kits, consisting of Bunsen Burner, Gas Pack, Tripod & Mat, and an array of coloured powdered glass.You melted & swirled the glass on to the copper using a variety of techniques. There are still suppliers for the craft, things are more upmarket now with kilns etc, but after a google search, and writing this post, I'm now oh so tempted to start up again (what have I done)!

The best Primary Teacher I ever had (Grade 7), showed us how to enamel in art class. A very brave teacher she was - 20 eleven/twelve year olds around a fired up Bunsen Burner, a heap of molten red hot copper pieces, & all the boys trying to "get" each other with the hot ends of the swirling tools lol.
She also taught the class to knit, & because I could already knit I had to help teach the other kids. It was hard work when you're 11/12, maybe that's why I don't like trying to teach people to knit now.
Mum then bought me an enameling kit of my own, for my 12th Birthday - the most fun a girl could have - before discovering boys! 

A small shop, a couple of suburbs away (in Minimine Street if you're a Brisbaner), stocked all the glass, copper pieces and findings to make jewellery, so that's where most of my pocket money went for a couple of years. You can't see the colour well in the pic, but the background is mint green with blue, red & yellow swirled in the middle ugh!
Thank God I got a little better with colour over the years!
Such a small inexpensive piece of jewellery back then, but full of priceless memories, so happy it lives with me now.

Loved crocheting the scarf btw, here's the Mini Mochi to do the next one,
 It's going to be bright... it's ok I'll wear lots of black :-)
Tell me if you remember Copper Enamelling, or even the 70's (chuckle) - Jen.

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Love the way the colours seems to fly
    And I also loved copper enamelling, but only had one try in school. And yes I'm admitting to remembering the 70's - the best music era :-)
    That Mini Mochi is quite a colour spin, can't wait to see what you make with it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maria, I'm using the same pattern for the mini mochi, realy curious to see how the colours will flow. Glad someone else remembers the 70's. Agree about the music & the clothes & the hair - better than the 80's - what were we thinking in the 80's lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the scarf! I'd love to make something similar for my son's girlfriend for Christmas, do you have a pattern or can you please tell me where you got it from? Thanks, Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yvonne, have a look above here at the post, and click the pink link - hitchin-a-ride. It will take you to Ravelry where you can download the PDF for the pattern - if you're not a member of Ravelry you can still download the pattern as a guest- Jen.

      Delete
  4. hello.i just love you work.i am learning to crochet myself.i am from pakistan,can you please tell me the name of yarn (with specifications ) so that i can check in the local shops here.please do tell.also tell me if i can get the materials online.thankyou.
    PS:i really like your work.
    i also have a blog.http://desimompakistan.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, thanks so much, the yarn is made by Noro - Silk Garden Sock yarn, you should be able to find Noro suppliers on the net, it's a Japanese yarn. If not any fingering/2ply/sock self striping yarn would work.

      Delete

I love reading your comments, and I'm very happy to help you with any questions about my patterns. The comments are moderated only to stop spam mail coming through, so your comment will be published as soon as I get a chance to check them - thanks Jen.